Lake Naivasha and Hell’s Gate National Park program at a glance:
- 8am -Pick up and depart Nairobi
- 9:30am – Arrive Hells Gate National Park.
- 1pm – Depart for Lake Naivasha for picnic lunch
- 2:30pm – hour boat ride in Lake Naivasha
- 4pm – Depart for Nairobi and drop off
About Lake Naivasha
The Lake Naivasha basin lies in Kenya’s Rift Valley, north-west of Nairobi. Covering about 145km 2 .
It’s surrounded by the Mau Escarpment to the west and the Kinangop plateau and Aberdare mountains to the east. The lake is surrounded by a forest of Yellow acacia trees and is home to a lot of birdlife hence a favorite birding destination. A boat ride around the lake offers great opportunity to spot the birds and hippos.
About Hell’s Gate National Park
Hell’s Gate National Park lies to the south of Lake Naivasha in Kenya, North West of Nairobi. The park which is mainly comprised of savannah ecosystem habours a wide variety of wildlife. There are over 100 species of birds in the park, including vultures, Verreaux’s Eagles, augur buzzard, and swifts. African buffalo, zebra, eland, hartebeest, Thomson’s gazelle, and baboons are also common.
The park is also home to klipspringer antelope and Chanler’s mountain reedbuck.
At Hell’s Gate National Park you can leave your vehicle and explore the park on foot or on bicycles.
It has extra ordinarily scenic gorges and routes. There are several rocks you can try rock climbing.
- 8am -You will be picked up at the designated meeting point, briefed of the program and activities and then depart Nairobi for Naivasha.
Have a 20 minutes stop at the Rift Valley view point for views of the Rift Valley and Mt Longonot.
Then proceed to Hells Gate.
- 9:30am – Arrive Hells Gate National Park. Enter the park either on bicycles or car. Ride/ drive 8 km to the gorges, past the Central tower, huge walls that dominate the park and lots of buffaloes and other wildlfe that dominate the park. Then have a 1 hour walk to the gorges. They are huge and breathtaking views to the Devil’s bedroom, kitchen, the shower. After the gorge walk return by either bicycles or car to the Gate and depart.
- 1pm – Depart for Lake Naivasha and have lunch enroute.
- 2pm Boar ride for about an hour boat ride in Lake Naivasha. You spot lots of birds and fishermen going on with the fishing activities. The Fish Eagle is like a definite spot.
- 4pm – Depart for Nairobi and drop off at the designated points.
- All entrance fees
- Bicycles hire
- Boat ride
- 1 Litre of drinking water